Re: librados for MacOS

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/08/2017 09:36, Brad Hubbard wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Martin Palma <martin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> is there a way to get librados for MacOS? Has anybody tried to build
>>> librados for MacOS? Is this even possible?

yes, once upon a time librados and even ceph-fuse compiled and ran[0]
fine on OSX. but since we have not worked on the port for a while, the
build is broken in master. but with this patch[1], at least librados
should build now.

--
[0] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9371
[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/17615

>> Yes, it is eminently possible, but would require a dedicated effort.
>>
>> As far as I know there is no one working on this atm.
>
> Looking at the code I've come across a few #ifdef's for OSX and sorts.
> So attempts have been tried, but I think that code has rotted.
> Now FreeBSD and MacOS have a partial similar background, so ATM I would
> expect a MacOS port not to be all complex. And build on some of the
> stuff I've done for FreeBSD. Not sure if the native compiler on Mac is
> Clang, but all Clang issues are already fixed. (If Clang on Mac is at
> least at 3.8)
>
> Liek Btad says:It does require persistence, and testing. But most
> important, it will also require maintenance.
>
> --WjW

Regards
Kefu Chai