Re: ceph OSD journal (with dmcrypt) replacement

AFAIK in case of dm-crypt luks (as default) ceph-disk keeps particular OSD partition\partitions key in ceph mon attributes and uses OSD partition uuid as an ID for this key.

So you can get all your keys running:

/usr/bin/ceph config-key ls

You'll get something like:

[
    "dm-crypt/osd/50250ade-500a-44c4-8a47-00224d76594a/luks",
    "dm-crypt/osd/940b5b1c-5926-4aa5-8cd7-ce2f22371d6a/luks",
    "dm-crypt/osd/dd28c6ba-c101-4874-bc1c-401b34cb2f9b/luks",
]

These uuid are partition uuids.

You can check your OSD partition uuid and get particular key as:

# change path to your OSD (not journal) partition path
OSD_PATH=/dev/sdXN
OSD_UUID=`blkid -s PARTUUID -o value $OSD_PATH`

/usr/bin/ceph config-key get dm-crypt/osd/$OSD_UUID/luks

when I create dmcrypted jounral using cryptsetup command, its asking
for passphase? Can I use passphase  as empty?

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:23 PM, M Ranga Swami Reddy
<swamireddy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you. Iam able to replace the dmcrypt journal successfully.
>
> On Sep 5, 2017 18:14, "David Turner" <drakonstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Did the journal drive fail during operation? Or was it taken out during
>> pre-failure. If it fully failed, then most likely you can't guarantee the
>> consistency of the underlying osds. In this case, you just put the affected
>> osds and add them back in as new osds.
>>
>> In the case of having good data on the osds, you follow the standard
>> process of closing the journal, create the new partition, set up all of the
>> partition metadata so that the ceph udev rules will know what the journal
>> is, and just create a new dmcrypt volume on it. I would recommend using the
>> same uuid as the old journal so that you don't need to update the symlinks
>> and such on the osd. After everything is done, run the journal create
>> command for the osd and start the osd.
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017, 2:47 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>> How to replace an OSD's journal created with dmcrypt, from one drive
>>> to another drive, in case of current journal drive failed.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Swami

С уважением,
Дробышевский Владимир