Re: Ceph release cadence

Personally I kind of like the current format and fundamentally we are talking about Data storage which should be the most tested and scrutinized piece of software on your computer. Having XYZ feature later than sooner compared to oh I lost all my data. I am thinking of a recent FS that had a feature they shouldn't have released. I appreciate the extra time it takes to release to make it resilient.

Having a LTS version to rely on provides a good assurance the upgrade process wil be thoroughly tested.
Having a version to do more experimental features keeps the new features at bay, it follows the Ubuntu model basically.

I feel there were a lot of underpinning features in Luminous that checkmarked a lot of checkboxes you have been wanting for a while. One thing to consider possibly a lot of the core features become more incremental.

I guess from my use case Ceph actually does everything I need it to do atm. Yes new features and better processes make it better, but more or less I am pretty content. Maybe I am a small minority in this logic.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:20 AM Matthew Vernon <mv3@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 06/09/17 16:23, Sage Weil wrote:

> Traditionally, we have done a major named "stable" release twice a year,
> and every other such release has been an "LTS" release, with fixes
> backported for 1-2 years.

We use the ceph version that comes with our distribution (Ubuntu LTS);
those come out every 2 years (though we won't move to a brand-new
distribution until we've done some testing!). So from my POV, LTS ceph
releases that come out such that adjacent ceph LTSs fit neatly into
adjacent Ubuntu LTSs is the ideal outcome. We're unlikely to ever try
putting a non-LTS ceph version into production.

I hope this isn't an unusual requirement :)

Matthew