Re: RBD encryption options?

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 9:03 PM Daniel K <sathackr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are there any client-side options to encrypt an RBD device?

Using latest luminous RC, on Ubuntu 16.04 and a 4.10 kernel

I assumed adding client site encryption  would be as simple as using luks/dm-crypt/cryptsetup after adding the RBD device to /etc/ceph/rbdmap and enabling the rbdmap service -- but I failed to consider the order of things loading and it appears that the RBD gets mapped too late for dm-crypt to recognize it as valid.It just keeps telling me it's not a valid LUKS device.

I know you can run the OSDs on an encrypted drive, but I was hoping for something client side since it's not exactly simple(as far as I can tell) to restrict client access to a single(or group) of RBDs within a shared pool.

Daniel, we used info from here for single or multiple RBD mappings to client

https://blog-fromsomedude.rhcloud.com/2016/04/26/Allowing-a-RBD-client-to-map-only-one-RBD

Also, I ran into the race condition with zfs, and would up putting zfs and rbdmap into rc.local.  It should work for dm-crypt as well.

Regards,
Alex

Any suggestions?

Alex Gorbachev