De: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] En nombre de Mark Nelson
Enviado el: jueves, 24 de agosto de 2017 2:18
Para: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: Re:  NVMe + SSD + HDD RBD Replicas with Bluestore...

On 08/23/2017 06:18 PM, Xavier Trilla wrote:
> Oh man, what do you know!... I'm quite amazed. I've been reviewing more documentation about min_replica_size and seems like it doesn't work as I thought (Although I remember specifically reading it somewhere some years ago :/ ).
>
> And, as all replicas need to be written before primary OSD informs the client about the write being completed, we cannot have the third replica on HDDs, no way. It would kill latency.
>
> Well, we'll just keep adding NVMs to our cluster (I mean, S4500 and P4500 price difference is negligible) and we'll decrease the primary affinity weight for SATA SSDs, just to be sure we get the most out of NVMe.
>
> BTW, does anybody have any experience so far with erasure coding and
> rbd? A 2/3 profile, would really save space on SSDs but I'm afraid
> about the extra calculations needed and how will it affect
> performance... Well, maybe I'll check into it, and I'll start a new
> thread :)

There's a decent chance you'll get higher performance with something like EC 6+2 vs 3X replication for large writes due simply to having less data to write (we see somewhere between 2x and 3x rep performance in the lab for 4MB writes to RBD). Small random writes will almost certainly be slower due to increased latency.  Reads in general will be slower as well.  With replication the read comes entirely from the primary but in EC you have to fetch chunks from the secondaries and reconstruct the object before sending it back to the client.

So basically compared to 3X rep you'll likely gain some performance on large writes, lose some performance on large reads, and lose more performance on small writes/reads (dependent on cpu speed and various other factors).

Mark