Re: Any experience with multiple cephfs instances in one ceph cluster? How experimental is this?

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Bryan Banister
<bbanister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I’m very new to ceph and cephfs, so I’m just starting to play around with
> the Luminous release.  There are some very concerning warnings about
> deploying multiple cephfs instances in the same cluster:
>
> “There are no known bugs, but any failures which do result from having
> multiple active filesystems in your cluster will require manual intervention
> and, so far, will not have been experienced by anybody else – knowledgeable
> help will be extremely limited. You also probably do not have the security
> or isolation guarantees you want or think you have upon doing so.”

The sort of literal translation of this is:
 - the automated tests for systems with multiple filesystems are not
very comprehensive
 - a client that can access one filesystem can access all of them

If you're adventurous enough to be running upstream Ceph packages, and
you have at least some level of test/staging environment to try it in,
then I'd not be too scared about trying it out.

> And Redhat says:
>
> “Creating multiple Ceph File Systems in one cluster is not fully supported
> yet and can cause the MDS or client nodes to terminate unexpectedly.”

I don't know who wrote that text, but I do not believe that there are
any known issues involving MDS or client nodes terminating
unexpectedly.

John