Re: Optimise Setup with Bluestore

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 00:09:48 +0200 Mehmet wrote:

> *resend... this Time to the list...*
> Hey David Thank you for the response!
>
> My use case is actually only rbd for kvm Images where mostly Running Lamp systems on Ubuntu or centos.
> All Images (rbds) are created with "proxmox" where the ceph defaults are used (actually Jewel in the near Future luminous...)
>
> What i want to know is Primary which constelation would be optimal for bluestore?
>
> I.e.
> Put db and RAW Device on HDD and the Wal on nvme in my case?
> Should i replace a HDD with an ssd and use this for the dbs so thats finally HDD as RAW Device, db on ssd and Wal on nvme?
> Or... use the HDD for RAW and the nvme for Wal and db?

Ideally (based on what I've been reading here) you'll have your WALs on
NVMe (with a 2nd NVMe to reduce the failure domain to 12 OSDs and improve
IOPS/durability or RAID1 to remove a SPOF).
Then you'll have the DB on decent (and larger) SSDs (not just one, same as
above), as small writes will use this essentially as a journal again.
And finally HDD OSDs as before.

If you get a 2nd NVMe and use it individually for 12 OSDs, you could go
for something like 24GB for the 12 WALs and 30GB each for the DBs, which
would be a decent compromise I suppose.
But the DB size feels a bit small, somebody with actual experience ought
to pipe up here.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Rakuten Communications