Re: How to distribute data

The rules in the CRUSH map will always be followed.  It is not possible for Ceph to go against that and put data into a root that shouldn't have it.

The problem with a cache tier is that Ceph is going to need to promote and evict stuff all the time (not free).  A lot of people that want to use SSD cache tiering for RBDs end up with slower performance because of this.  Christian Balzer is the expert on Cache Tiers for RBD usage.  His primary stance is that it's most likely a bad idea, but there are definite cases where it's perfect.