Re: VMware + Ceph using NFS sync/async ?

We are using Ceph on NFS for VMWare – we are using SSD tiers in front of SATA and some direct SSD pools.  The datastores are just XFS file systems on RBD managed by a pacemaker cluster for failover.

Lessons so far are that large datastores quickly run out of IOPS and compete for performance – you are better off with many smaller RBDs (say 1TB) to spread out workloads.  Also tuning up NFS threads seems to help.

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Osama Hasebou
Sent: Wednesday, 16 August 2017 10:34 PM
To: nick@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ceph-users <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] VMware + Ceph using NFS sync/async ?

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying! If Ceph is combined with Openstack then, does that mean that actually when openstack writes are happening, it is not fully sync'd (as in written to disks) before it starts receiving more data, so acting as async ? In that scenario there is a chance for data loss if things go bad, i.e power outage or something like that ?

As for the slow operations, reading is quite fine when I compare it to a SAN storage system connected to VMware. It is writing data, small chunks or big ones, that suffer when trying to use the sync option with FIO for benchmarking.

In that case, I wonder, is no one using CEPH with VMware in a production environment ?

Cheers.

Regards,
Ossi

Hi Osama,

This is a known problem with many software defined storage stacks, but potentially slightly worse with Ceph due to extra overheads. Sync writes have to wait until all copies of the data are written to disk by the OSD and acknowledged back to the client. The extra network hops for replication and NFS gateways add significant latency which impacts the time it takes to carry out small writes. The Ceph code also takes time to process each IO request.

What particular operations are you finding slow? Storage vmotions are just bad, and I don’t think there is much that can be done about them as they are split into lots of 64kb IO’s.

One thing you can try is to force the CPU’s on your OSD nodes to run at C1 cstate and force their minimum frequency to 100%. This can have quite a large impact on latency. Also you don’t specify your network, but 10G is a must.

Nick