Re: CephFS billions of files and inline_data?

On 17-08-16 19:40, John Spray wrote:
On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Henrik Korkuc <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I have use case for billions of small files (~1KB) on CephFS and as to my
experience having billions of objects in a pool is not very good idea (ops
slow down, large memory usage, etc) I decided to test CephFS inline_data.
After activating this feature and starting copy process I noticed that
objects are still created on data pool, but their size is 0. Is this
expected behavior? Maybe someone can share tips on using large amount of
small objects? I am on 12.1.3, already using decreased min block size for
bluestore.
Couple of thoughts:
  - Frequently when someone has a "billions of small files" workload
they really want an object store, not a filesystem
in this case I need POSIX, to replace current system.

  - In many cases the major per-file overhead is MDS CPU req/s rather
than the OSD ops, so inline data may be efficient but not result in
overall speedup
  - If you do need to get rid of the overhead of writing objects to the
data pool, you could work on creating a special backtraceless flag
(per-filesystem), where the filesystem cannot do lookups by inode (no
NFS, no hardlinks, limited disaster recovery), but it doesn't write
backtraces either.
It looks like I may need backtraces, so will need to put bunch of objects into pools.

maybe you can suggest any recommendations how to scale Ceph for billions of objects? More PGs per OSD, more OSDs, more pools? Somewhere in the list it was mentioned that OSDs need to keep object list in memory, is it still valid for bluestore?

Also setting bluestore_min_alloc_size_* to 1024 results in "/tmp/buildd/ceph-12.1.3/src/common/Checksummer.h: 219: FAILED assert(csum_data->length() >= (offset + length) / csum_block_size * sizeof(typename Alg::value_t))" during OSD start right after ceph-disk prepare.

John