Re: CephFS billions of files and inline_data?

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 7:28 AM Henrik Korkuc <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I have use case for billions of small files (~1KB) on CephFS and as to
my experience having billions of objects in a pool is not very good idea
(ops slow down, large memory usage, etc) I decided to test CephFS
inline_data. After activating this feature and starting copy process I
noticed that objects are still created on data pool, but their size is
0. Is this expected behavior? Maybe someone can share tips on using
large amount of small objects? I am on 12.1.3, already using decreased
min block size for bluestore.

This is expected. It still creates the objects because it needs them to do inode-based lookups of the file path, and because if the file grows larger it will need to move it from inline to regular storage anyway.

Do keep in mind that while the inline data feature is pretty well-tested in our nightlies, it sounds like you'll be exercising it a lot more than anybody has in the field yet. :)
-Greg