Re: luminous/bluetsore osd memory requirements

> Op 10 augustus 2017 om 11:14 schreef Marcus Haarmann <marcus.haarmann@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

> Hi,
>
> we have done some testing with bluestore and found that the memory consumption of the osd
> processes is depending not on the real data amount stored but on the number of stored
> objects.
> This means that e.g. a block device of 100 GB which spreads over 100 objects has a different
> memory usage than storing 10000000 smaller objects (the bluestore blocksize should be tuned for
> that kind of setup). (1000000 objects of size 4k to 100k had a memory consumption of ~4GB on the osd
> on standard block size, while the amount of data was only ~15GB).

Yes, the amount of objects and PGs will determine how much Memory a OSD will use.

> So it depends on the usage, a cephfs stores each file as a single object, while the rbd is configured
> to allocate larger objects.

Not true in this case. Both CephFS and RBD stripe over 4MB RADOS objects. So a 1024MB file in CephFS will result in 256 RADOS objects of 4MB in size.

This is configurable using directory layouts, but 4MB is the default.

Wido