Re: ipv6 monclient

> Op 19 juli 2017 om 10:36 schreef Dan van der Ster <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> Hi Wido,
>
> Quick question about IPv6 clusters which you may have already noticed.
> We have an IPv6 cluster and clients use this as the ceph.conf:
>
> [global]
>   mon host = cephv6.cern.ch
>
> cephv6 is an alias to our three mons, which are listening on their v6
> addrs (ms bind ipv6 = true). But those mon hosts are in fact dual
> stack -- our network infrastructure does not (yet) allow IPv6-only
> hosts. And due to limitations in our DNS service, cephv6.cern.ch is
> therefore an alias to 6 addresses -- the three IPv6 + three IPv4
> addresses of the mon hosts.
>
> Now, when clients connect to this cluster, we have the annoying
> behaviour that the Ceph monclient will construct the initial mon hosts
> with those 6 addrs, then consult them in random order to find the mon
> map. The attempts to the IPv4 addrs fail of course, so the connections
> are delayed until they attempt one of the v6 addrs.
>
> Do you also suffer from this? Did you find a workaround to encourage
> the ceph clients to try the IPv6 addrs first? Unfortunately ms bind
> ipv6 is not used for clients, and even though getaddrinfo returns IPv6
> addrs first, Ceph randomizes the mon addrs before connecting.

No, sorry, I haven't seen that! When I deploy IPv6 with Ceph it's IPv6-only and those DNS-records will then only contain AAAA-records.

Never tried this nor tested it :)

Btw, with newer versions you can also use SRV records, might be useful: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/mon-lookup-dns/

Wido