Moving OSD node from root bucket to defined 'rack' bucket

Greetings,

I’m trying to figure out the best way to move our hosts from the root=default bucket into their rack buckets.

Our crush map has the notion of three racks which will hold all of our osd nodes.

As we have added new nodes, we have assigned them to their correct rack location in the map. However, when the cluster was first conceived, the majority of the nodes were left in the default bucket.

Now I would like to move them into their correct rack buckets.

I have a feeling I know the answer to this question, but I thought I’d ask and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Can I move a host from the root bucket into the correct rack without draining it and then refilling it or do I need to reweight the host to 0, move the host to the correct bucket, and then reweight it back to it’s correct value?

Any insights here will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Mike Cave