Re: Yet another performance tuning for CephFS

I have a seperate 10GbE network for ceph and another for public.

No they are not NVMe, unfortunately.

Do you know any test command that i can try to see if this is the max. Read speed from rsync?

Because I tried one thing a few minutes ago. I opened 4 ssh channel and run rsync command and copy bigfile to different targets in cephfs at the same time. Then i looked into network graphs and i see numbers up to 1.09 gb/s. But why single copy/rsync cannot exceed 200mb/s? What prevents it im really wonder this.

Gencer.

On 2017-07-17 23:24, Peter Maloney wrote:
You should have a separate public and cluster network. And journal or
wal/db performance is important... are the devices fast NVMe?

On 07/17/17 21:31, gencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I located and applied almost every different tuning setting/config
over the internet. I couldn’t manage to speed up my speed one byte
further. It is always same speed whatever I do.

I was on jewel, now I tried BlueStore on Luminous. Still exact same
speed I gain from cephfs.

It doesn’t matter if I disable debug log, or remove [osd] section
as below and re-add as below (see .conf). Results are exactly the
same. Not a single byte is gained from those tunings. I also did
tuning for kernel (sysctl.conf).

Basics:

I have 2 nodes with 10 OSD each and each OSD is 3TB SATA drive. Each
node has 24 cores and 64GB of RAM. Ceph nodes are connected via
10GbE NIC. No FUSE used. But tried that too. Same results.

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/c/testfile bs=100M count=10 oflag=direct

10+0 records in

10+0 records out

1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB, 1000 MiB) copied, 5.77219 s, 182 MB/s

182MB/s. This is the best speed i get so far. Usually 170~MB/s. Hm..
I get much much much higher speeds on different filesystems. Even
with glusterfs. Is there anything I can do or try?

Read speed is also around 180-220MB/s but not higher.

This is What I am using on ceph.conf:

[global]

fsid = d7163667-f8c5-466b-88df-8747b26c91df

mon_initial_members = server1

mon_host = 192.168.0.1

auth_cluster_required = cephx

auth_service_required = cephx

auth_client_required = cephx

osd mount options = rw,noexec,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier

osd mount options xfs = rw,noexec,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier

osd_mkfs_type = xfs

osd pool default size = 2

enable experimental unrecoverable data corrupting features =
bluestore rocksdb

bluestore fsck on mount = true

rbd readahead disable after bytes = 0

rbd readahead max bytes = 4194304

log to syslog = false

debug_lockdep = 0/0

debug_context = 0/0

debug_crush = 0/0

debug_buffer = 0/0

debug_timer = 0/0

debug_filer = 0/0

debug_objecter = 0/0

debug_rados = 0/0

debug_rbd = 0/0

debug_journaler = 0/0

debug_objectcatcher = 0/0

debug_client = 0/0

debug_osd = 0/0

debug_optracker = 0/0

debug_objclass = 0/0

debug_filestore = 0/0

debug_journal = 0/0

debug_ms = 0/0

debug_monc = 0/0

debug_tp = 0/0

debug_auth = 0/0

debug_finisher = 0/0

debug_heartbeatmap = 0/0

debug_perfcounter = 0/0

debug_asok = 0/0

debug_throttle = 0/0

debug_mon = 0/0

debug_paxos = 0/0

debug_rgw = 0/0

[osd]

osd max write size = 512

osd client message size cap = 2147483648

osd mount options xfs = rw,noexec,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier

filestore xattr use omap = true

osd_op_threads = 8

osd disk threads = 4

osd map cache size = 1024

filestore_queue_max_ops = 25000

filestore_queue_max_bytes = 10485760

filestore_queue_committing_max_ops = 5000

filestore_queue_committing_max_bytes = 10485760000

journal_max_write_entries = 1000

journal_queue_max_ops = 3000

journal_max_write_bytes = 1048576000

journal_queue_max_bytes = 1048576000

filestore_max_sync_interval = 15

filestore_merge_threshold = 20

filestore_split_multiple = 2

osd_enable_op_tracker = false

filestore_wbthrottle_enable = false

osd_client_message_size_cap = 0

osd_client_message_cap = 0

filestore_fd_cache_size = 64

filestore_fd_cache_shards = 32

filestore_op_threads = 12

As I stated above, it doesn’t matter if I have this [osd] section
or not. Results are same.

I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Gencer.