Re: RBD cache being filled up in small increases instead of 4MB

I think the general readahead logic might be a bit more advanced in the Linux kernel vs using readahead from the librbd client. The kernel will watch how successful each readahead is and scale as necessary. You might want to try uping the read_ahead_kb for the block device in the VM. Something between 4MB to 32MB works well for RBD's, but make sure you have a 4.x kernel as some fixes to readahead max size were introduced and not sure if they ever got backported.

Unless you tell the rbd client to not disable readahead after reading the 1st x number of bytes (rbd readahead disable after bytes=0), it will stop reading ahead and will only cache exactly what is requested by the client.