Re: Speeding up backfill after increasing PGs and or adding OSDs

Hello,

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 17:57:06 +0000 george.vasilakakos@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks for your response David.
>
> What you've described has been what I've been thinking about too. We have 1401 OSDs in the cluster currently and this output is from the tail end of the backfill for +64 PG increase on the biggest pool.
>
> The problem is we see this cluster do at most 20 backfills at the same time and as the queue of PGs to backfill gets smaller there are fewer and fewer actively backfilling which I don't quite understand.

Welcome to the club.
You're not the first one to wonder about this and while David's comment
about max_backfill is valid, it simply doesn't explain all of this.

See this and my thoughts about things, unfortunately no developer ever
followed up on it:
http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2016-May/009704.html

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Rakuten Communications