Re: Note about rbd_aio_write usage

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Piotr Dałek <branch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is that deep copy an equivalent of what
> Jewel librbd did at unspecified point of time, or extra one?

It's equivalent / replacement -- not an additional copy. This was
changed to support scatter/gather IO API methods which the latest
version of QEMU now directly utilizes (eliminating the need for a
bounce-buffer copy on every IO).

Once we get that librados issue resolved, that initial librbd IO
buffer copy will be dropped and librbd will become zero-copy for IO
(at least that's the goal). That's why I am recommending that you just
assume normal AIO semantics and not try to optimize for Luminous since
perhaps the next release will have that implementation detail of the
extra copy removed.

--
Jason