Removing very large buckets

Hello,

We have a bucket that has 60 million + objects in it, and are trying to delete it. To do so, we have tried doing:

radosgw-admin bucket list --bucket=<bucket>

and then cycling through the list of object names and deleting them, 1,000 at a time. However, after ~3-4k objects deleted, the list call stops working and just hangs. We have also noticed slow requests for the cluster most of the time after running that command when it hangs. We know there is also a "radosgw-admin bucket rm --bucket=<bucket> --purge-objects" command, but we are nervous that this will cause slowness in the cluster as well, since the listing did - or that it might not work at all, considering the list didn't work.

We are running Ceph version 0.94.3, and there is no bucket sharding on the index.

What is the recommended way to delete a large bucket like that in production, without occurring any downtime/slow requests?

Thanks,
- Eric