Re: Snapshot removed, cluster thrashed...

On 06/26/17 11:36, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Three question:
>
> a) while a 'snapshot remove' action put system on load?
>
> b) as for options like:
>
> 	osd scrub during recovery = false
>         osd recovery op priority = 1
>         osd recovery max active = 5
>         osd max backfills = 1
>
>  (for recovery), there are option to reduce the impact of a stapshot
>  remove?
>
> c) snapshot are handled differently from other IO ops, or doing some
>  similar things (eg, a restore from a backup) i've to expect some
>  similar result?
>

> Thanks.

You also have to set:

> osd_pg_max_concurrent_snap_trims=1
> osd_snap_trim_sleep=0
2nd is default 0, but just make sure. Or maybe it doesn't exist in
hammer. It's bugged in jewel, and holds a lock during sleep, so you have
to set it 0.

And I think maybe this helps a little:

> filestore_split_multiple=8

And this one lower can make performance lower, but can reduce blocked
requests (due to blocking locks):

> osd_op_threads = 2
(currently I have 8 set on the last one... long ago I found that lowest
was the minimum bareable when doing snapshots and snap removal)

And keep in mind all the "priority" stuff possibly doesn't have any
effect without the cfq disk scheduler (at least in hammer... I think
I've heard different for jewel and later). Check with:

> grep . /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult
Max-Planck-Str. 2