Re: What package I need to install to have CephFS kernel support on CentOS?

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 4:05 PM, Stéphane Klein
<contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use CephFS kernel module on CentOS 7
>
> I use Atomic version of CentOS.
>
> I don't know where is the CephFS kermel module rpm package.
>
> I have installed: libcephfs1-10.2.7-0.el7.x86_64 package and I have this:
>
> -bash-4.2# rpm -qvl libcephfs1
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root                       18 Apr 11 03:51
> /usr/lib64/libcephfs.so.1 -> libcephfs.so.1.0.0
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root    root                  6237376 Apr 11 04:32
> /usr/lib64/libcephfs.so.1.0.0
>
> I use this repos:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CentOS-Storage-SIG/centos-release-ceph-jewel/master/CentOS-Ceph-Jewel.repo
>
> Question: what package I need to install to have CephFS kernel support on
> CentOS?

As David has already mentioned, if your kernel was built with CephFS
then no extra package will be needed.  We do include an extra
mount.ceph helper binary (it can e.g. handle mon DNS names instead of
IPs) in the ceph-common package, but it isn't mandatory.  Note that
not all distributions enable the cephfs kernel module in their builds,
although from a quick look on a centos box here it seems to be there.

However, please bear in mind that many distributions are shipping
kernels with seriously old cephfs clients, see
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/best-practices/#which-kernel-version
-- if your distribution does not say anything about actively
supporting and backporting the cephfs client, then you can probably
assume that they aren't.  In this case, you may be better off
installing a much more recent kernel than the one that came with your
distribution, in order to get the latest cephfs code.

John