Re: purpose of ceph-mgr daemon

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 6:47 AM, Manuel Lausch <manuel.lausch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we decided to test a bit the upcoming ceph release (luminous). It seems
> that I need to install this ceph-mgr daemon as well. But I don't
> understand exactly why I need this service and what I can do with it.
>
> The ceph Cluster is working well without installing any manager daemon.
> However in the ceph status output there is a health error ("no active
> mgr")
>
> My questions:
> Can we run the cluster without this additional daemon? If yes, is it
> possible to supress this health error?

You do need the daemon -- in luminous, it is responsible for
populating parts of the health monitoring, especially the status of
PGs.

> What exactly is the purpose of this service. The documentation oncontains
> very rare information about it.

You probably already found the existing doc page for mgr:
"The Ceph Manager daemon (ceph-mgr) runs alongside monitor daemons, to
provide additional monitoring and interfaces to external monitoring
and management systems."

I've fleshed it out a little bit: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/15690

John