Re: removing cluster name support

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Vasu Kulkarni <vakulkar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Wes Dillingham
> <wes_dillingham@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Similar to Dan's situation we utilize the --cluster name concept for our
>> operations. Primarily for "datamover" nodes which do incremental rbd
>> import/export between distinct clusters. This is entirely coordinated by
>> utilizing the --cluster option throughout.
>>
>> The way we set it up is that all clusters are actually named "ceph" on the
>> mons and osds etc, but the clients themselves get /etc/ceph/clusterA.conf
>> and /etc/ceph/clusterB.conf so that we can differentiate. I would like to
>> see the functionality of clients being able to specify which conf file to
>> read preserved.
>
> ceph.conf along with keyring file can stay in any location, the
> default location is /etc/ceph but one could use
> other location for clusterB.conf (
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/rados/configuration/ceph-conf/ ), At
> least
> for client which doesn't run any daemon this should be sufficient to
> make it talk to different clusters.

So we start with this:

> ceph --cluster=flax health
HEALTH_OK

Then for example do:
> cd /etc/ceph/
> mkdir flax
> cp flax.conf flax/ceph.conf
> cp flax.client.admin.keyring flax/ceph.client.admin.keyring

Now this works:

> ceph --conf=/etc/ceph/flax/ceph.conf --keyring=/etc/ceph/flax/ceph.client.admin.keyring health
HEALTH_OK

So --cluster is just convenient shorthand for the CLI.

I guess it won't be the end of the world if you drop it, but would it
be so costly to keep that working? (CLI only -- no use-case for
server-side named clusters over here).

--
Dan