Re: design guidance

Hello,

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 20:59:40 -0400 Daniel K wrote:

> Christian,
>
> Thank you for the tips -- I certainly googled my eyes out for a good while
> before asking -- maybe my google-fu wasn't too good last night.
>
> > I love using IB, alas with just one port per host you're likely best off
> > ignoring it, unless you have a converged network/switches that can make
> > use of it (or run it in Ethernet mode).
>
> I've always heard people speak fondly of IB, but I've honestly never dealt
> with it. I'm mostly a network guy at heart, so I'm perfectly comfortable
> aggregating 10GB/s connections till the cows come home. What are some of
> the virtues of IB, over ethernet? (not ethernet over IB)

IB natively is very low latency and until not so long ago was also
significantly cheaper than respective Ethernet offerings.

With IPoIB you loose some of that latency advantage, but it's still quite
good. And the advent of "cheap" whitebox as well as big brand switches this
has been eroding the IB cost advantages, too.

Native IB support for Ceph has been in development for years, so don't
hold your breath there, though.

> > Bluestore doesn't have journals per se and unless you're going to wait for
> > Luminous I wouldn't recommend using Bluestore in production.
> > Hell, I won't be using it any time soon, but anything pre L sounds
> > like outright channeling Murphy to smite you
>
> I do like to play with fire often, but not normally with other people's
> data. I suppose I will stay away from Bluestore for now, unless Luminous is
> released within the next few weeks. I am using it on  Kraken in my small
> test-cluster so far without a visit from Murphy.

If you look at the ML archives, there seem to be plenty of problems
creeping up, some of it more serious than others.
And expect another slew when it goes mainstream and/or becomes the default.

> > That said, what SSD is it?
> > Bluestore WAL needs are rather small.
> > OTOH, a single SSD isn't something I'd recommend either, SPOF and all.
>
> > I'm guessing you have no budget to improve on that gift horse?
>
> It's a Micron 1100 256Gb, rated for 120TBW, which works out to about
> 100GB/day for 3 years, so not even .5DWPD. I doubt it has the endurance to
> journal 36 1TB drives.

Yeah, no go with that.

> I do have some room in the budget, and NVMe journals have been on the back
> of my mind. These servers have 6 PCIe x8 slots in them, so tons of room.
> But then I'm going to get asked about a cache tier, which everyone seems to
> think is the holy grail (and probably would be, if they could 'just work')
>
> But from what I read, they're an utter nightmare to manage, particularly
> without a well defined workload, and often would hurt more than they help.

I'm very happy with them, but I do have a perfect match in terms of
workload, use case and experience. ^o^

But in any shape or form those servers are underpowered CPU wise and
putting more things into them won't improve things.
Building a cache-tier on dedicated nodes (that's what I do) is another
story.

To correlate CPU usage/needs, I'm literally in the middle of setting up a
new cluster (small, as usual).

The 3 HDD storage nodes have 1 E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz CPU (6 core/SMT = 12
linux cores), 64GB RAM, IB, 12 3TB SAS HDDs and 2 400GB DC S3710 SSDs for
OS and journals.

The 3 cache-tier nodes have 2 E5-2623 v3 @ 3.00GHz CPUs (4 cores/SMT), 64GB
RAM, IB and 5 800GB DC S3610 SSDs.

If you run this fio against a kernel mounted RBD image (same diff from a
userspace Ceph VM):
"fio --size=4G --ioengine=libaio --invalidate=1 --direct=1 --numjobs=1
--rw=randwrite --name=fiojob --blocksize=4k --iodepth=32"

one winds up with 50% CPU (that's half a pseudo-core) usage per OSD
process on the HDD storage, because the HDDs are at 100% util and the
bottleneck. The journal SSDs are bored around 20%.
Still, half of these 3.5GHz (yes it ramps up to full speed) cores gone,
now relate that to your triple OSDs and slower CPUs...

On the the cache-tier pool that fio results in about 50% SSD utilization
but with each OSD process now consuming about 210%, a full real core.
So this one is neither CPU nor storage limited, the latency/RTT is the
limiting factor here.

Fun fact, for large sequential writes the cache-tier is actually slightly
slower, due to the co-location of the journals on the OSD SSDs.
For small, random IOPS that of course is not true. ^.^

> I haven't spent a ton of time with the network gear that was dumped on me,
> but the switches I have now are a Nexus 7000, x4 Force10 S4810 (so I do
> have some stackable 10Gb that I can MC-LAG), x2 Mellanox IS5023 (18 port IB
> switch), what appears to be a giant IB switch (Qlogic 12800-120) and
> another apparently big boy (Qlogic 12800-180). I'm going to pick them up
> from the warehouse tomorrow.
>
> If I stay away from IB completely, may just use the IB card as a 4x10GB +
> the 2x 10GB on board like I had originally mentioned. But if that IB gear
> is good, I'd hate to see it go to waste. Might be worth getting a second IB
> card for each server.

If you're happy with getting old ones, I hear they can be found quite
cheap.

Christian