Re: is there any way to speed up cache evicting?

thank you for your guide :), It's making sense.

Hello,

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 14:30:56 +0800 jiajia zhong wrote:

> christian, thanks for your reply.

> > On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 10:30:46 +0800 jiajia zhong wrote:
> >
> > > hi guys:
> > >
> > > Our ceph cluster is working with tier cache.
> > If so, then I suppose you read all the discussions here as well and not
> > only the somewhat lacking documentation?
> >
> > > I am running "rados -p data_cache cache-try-flush-evict-all" to evict all
> > > the objects.
> > Why?
> > And why all of it?
>

> we found that when the threshold(flush/evict) was triggered, the
> performance would make us a bit upset :), so I wish to flush/evict the tier
> in a spare time,eg, middle night,In this scenario,the tier could not pay
> any focus on flush/evict while the great w/r operations on cephfs which we
> are using.

As I said, eviction (which is basically zeroing the data in cache) has
very little impact.
Flushing, moving data from the cache tier to the main pool is another
story.

But what you're doing here is completely invalidating your cache (the
eviction part), so the performance will be very bad after this as well.

If you have low utilization periods, consider a cron job that lowers the
dirty ratio (causing only flushes to happen) and then after a while (few
minutes should do, experiment) restore the old setting.

For example:
---
# Preemptive Flushing before midnight
45 23 * * * root ceph osd pool set cache cache_target_dirty_ratio 0.52

# And back to normal levels
55 23 * * * root ceph osd pool set cache cache_target_dirty_ratio 0.60
---

This will of course only help if the amount of data promoted into your
cache per day is small enough to fit into the flushed space.

Otherwise your cluster has no other choice to start flushing when things
get full.

Christian