sortbitwise warning broken on Ceph Jewel?

The Kraken release notes[1] contain the following note about the
sortbitwise flag and upgrading from <= Jewel to > Jewel:

The sortbitwise flag must be set on the Jewel cluster before upgrading
to Kraken. The latest Jewel (10.2.4+) releases issue a health warning if
the flag is not set, so this is probably already set. If it is not,
Kraken OSDs will refuse to start and will print and error message in
their log.

I think this refers to the warning introduced by d3dbd8581 [2], which
is triggered if
- a mon config key is set to true (default, not there in master anymore)
- the sortbitwise flag is not set (default for clusters upgrading from
  hammer, not default for new jewel clusters)
- the OSDs support sortbitwise (I assume this is the default for Jewel
  OSDs? I am not sure how to get this information from a running OSD?)

I have not been able to trigger this warning for either an upgraded
Hammer cluster (all nodes upgraded from latest Hammer to latest Jewel
and rebooted) which does not have sortbitwise set, nor for a freshly
installed Jewel cluster where I manually unset sortbitwise and rebooted
afterwards. Am I doing something wrong, or is the check somehow broken?
If the latter is the case, the release notes are very misleading (as
users will probably rely on "no health warning -> safe to upgrade").

I also see one follow-up fix[3] which was only included in Kraken so
far, but AFAICT this should only possible affect the second test with a
manually unset sortbitwise on Jewel, and not the Hammer -> Jewel ->
Kraken/Luminous upgrade path.

1: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/release-notes/#upgrading-from-jewel
2: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/d3dbd8581bd39572dc55d4953b5d8c49255426d7
3: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/12682