Re: num_caps

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Ranjan Ghosh <ghosh@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I run "ceph daemon mds.<name> session ls" I always get a fairly large
> number for num_caps (200.000). Is this normal? I thought caps are sth. like
> open/locked files meaning a client is holding a cap on a file and no other
> client can access it during this time.

Capabilities are much broader than that, they cover clients keeping
some fresh metadata in their cache, even if the client isn't doing
anything with the file at that moment.  It's common for a client to
accumulate a large number of capabilities in normal operation, as it
keeps the metadata for many files in cache.

You can adjust the "client cache size" setting on the fuse client to
encourage it to cache metadata on fewer files and thereby hold onto
fewer capabilities if you want.

John