Re: Increase PG or reweight OSDs?

TL;DR: add the OSDs and then split the PGs

They are different commands for different situations...

changing the weight is to have a bigger number of nodes/devices.
Depending on the size of cluster, the size of the devices, how busy it
is and by how much you're growing it will have some different impacts.

Usually people add the devices and slowly increase the OSDs weight to
slowly increase the usage and data on them. There are some way to
improve performance and/or reduce the impact of that operation, like
the number of allowable concurrent backfills and op/backfill priority
settings.

The other one will get *all* of the objects in the existing PGs and
redistribute them in another set of PGs.

The number of PGs doesn't change with the number of OSDs, so the more
OSDs you have to do the splitting the better - because amount of work
is the same, the more workers the least each will have to do.

If impact/IO is important - for example cluster is busy - then you can
additionally set the noscrub/nodeep-scrub flags....