Re: Intel power tuning - 30% throughput performance increase

On 3 May 2017 at 17:24, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is this a HDD or SSD cluster? I assume the latter? Since usually HDDs are 100% busy during heavy recovery.

HDD with SSD journals. Our experience at this scale, ~900 OSDs over 33
hosts, is that it takes a fair percentage of PGs to be involved before
disks are saturated. At this point I'm mainly basing the observations
on backfill after reweight, as that is something we have been doing
periodically. We have some comparative rados bench and fio data but
have not yet graphed it.

> Do you also know how much more power these machines started to use? Your iDRAC might be able to tell you this.

No have not really looked into this yet, though the iDRAC certainly
can provide an indication. I think these are 45Watt TDP CPUs
(E5-2630v2) so would expect it to be less than 2X power draw increase
after factoring in 30+ spindles, RAM, etc.

> Would you maybe want to write a pull request to get this in to docs.ceph.com?

Absolutely, actually I have a small list of outstanding Ceph doc
contributions that I am planning to work on during next couple of
weeks travel. Do you have a suggestion for an appropriate place in the
docs to add this?

--
Cheers,
~Blairo