Re: Power Failure

One scenario I can offer here as it relates to powercut/hard shutdown.

I had my data center get struck by lightning very early on in my Ceph lifespan when I was testing and evaluating.

I had 8 OSD’s on 8 hosts, and each OSD was a RAID0 (single) vd on my LSI RAID controller.
On the RAID controller, I did not have a BBU. (mistake 1)
On the disks, I was using on-disk cache (pdcache), as well as write back cache at the controller level. (mistake 2, mistake 3)

It was a learning experience, as it corrupted leveldb on 6/8 OSD’s, as the on-disk cache had partially written writes to persistent storage.

So moral of the story was to make sure pdcache is configured to off, if expecting power failures.
$ sudo /opt/MegaRAID/storcli/storcli64 /c0 add vd type=raid0 drives=252:0 pdcache=off

And BBU’s would also increase likelihood of writes not going missing.

Reed