Re: Maintaining write performance under a steady intake of small objects

I used to advocate that users favor dentry/inode cache, but it turns out that it's not necessarily a good idea if you also are using syncfs. It turns out that when syncfs is used, the kernel will iterate through all cached inodes, rather than just dirty inodes. With high numbers of cached inodes, it can impact performance enough that it ends up being a problem. See Sage's post here:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg25644.html

I don't remember if we ended up ripping syncfs out completely. Bluestore ditches the filesystem so we don't have to deal with this anymore regardless. It's something to be aware of though.

Mark