Re: Power Failure

Mandi! Santu Roy
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I am very new to Ceph. Studding for few days for a deployment of Ceph cluster.
> I am going to deploy ceph in a small data center where power failure is a big
> problem. we have single power supply, Single ups and a stand by generator. so
> what happend if all node down due to power failure? will it create any problem
> to restart service when power restore?
> looking for your suggestion..

First message on list. I manage a little Ceph cluster (3 nodes, 6 OSD),
used exclusively for Proxmox (2 computing nodes, but also MON).

I've experimented some pain tearing down all the cluster (for a general
maintenace task, i've had to move servers from place to another...) and
after rebooting the storage nodes, clock skew prevent Ceph to work
correctly.

It was partially a mistake by mine (ahem, i've pointed storage nodes
toward an internal NTP server that was... ahem... a VM in the same
cluster! ;-), but i've had some panic because, also after syncing time
and after monitors stop complain about clock skew, i was forced to
reboot/restart all the mon/osd one by one to get ceph working properly.

So, in my experience, don't tear down a Ceph cluster at least without a
NTP server available. ;-)

Also, i've configured UPSes so computing nodes start shutdown before
the storage nodes, and storage nodes to power on as soon as possible,
while computing nodes as delayed as possible.
But i've never done a power off - power on test again...