Take a look at https://git.cybbh.space/vta/saltstack/tree/master/apps/ceph

Particularly files/init-journal.sh and files/osd-bootstrap.sh

We use salt to do some of the legwork (templatizing the bootstrap process), but for the most part it is all just a bunch of shell scripts with some control flow. We partition an nvme device and then create symlinks from osds to the partitions in a per-determined fashion. We don't use ceph-desk at all.

---
v/r

Chris Apsey
bitskrieg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
https://www.bitskrieg.net

On 2017-04-17 08:56, Nikita Shalnov wrote:
Hi all.

Is there any way to create osd manually, which would use a designated
partition of the journal disk (without using ceph-ansible)?

I have journals on SSD disks nad each journal disk contains 3
partitions for 3 osds.

Example: one of the osds crashed. I changed a disk (sdaa) and want to
prepare the disk for adding to the cluster. Here is the journal, that
should be used by new osd:

/dev/sdaf :

/dev/sdaf2 ceph journal

/dev/sdaf3 ceph journal, for /dev/sdab1

/dev/sdaf1 ceph journal, for /dev/sdz1

You see, that the bad disk used a second partition. If I run CEPH-DISK
PREPARE  /DEV/SDAA /DEV/SDAF, ceph-disk creates /dev/sdaf4 partition
and sets it as journal disk for the osd. But I want to use second
empty partition (/dev/sdaf2). If I delete /dev/sdaf2 partition, the
behavior doesn't change.

Can someone help me?

BR,

Nikita