Ceph-disk prepare not properly preparing disks on one of my OSD nodes, running 11.2.0-0 on CentOS7

Hello, I have a few ceph OSD hosting nodes. All, as far as I can tell, have identical ceph versions. The problem I am hitting is as follows. I enter the following for example:

ceph3# ceph-disk prepare --cluster ceph --cluster-uuid aca834ef-5617-47fd-be18-283faba1f0b1 --fs-type xfs /dev/sdb

The disk seems to get formatted correctly, however when it attempts to activate the disk the logs mentioned it was unable to detect the superblock. There are no new osd entries in the crush map either. Manually mounting the disk shows that it is missing a file with it's uuid, and the whoami file, sorry for not being more descriptive, I worked around the problem by preparing the disk on a working box and substituting it back in.

Any suggestions on where to look to start debugging this? SELinux is off on all nodes.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

-Michael