Re: MDS failover

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempesta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi to all
> Sorry if this question was already asked but I didn't find anything related
>

> AFAIK MDS are a foundametal component for CephFS.
> What happens in case of MDS crash between replication from the active MDS to
> the slaves?

MDSs do not replicate to one another.  They write all metadata to a
RADOS pool (i.e. to the OSDs), and when a failover happens, the new
active MDS reads the metadata in.

> Changes made between the crash and the missing replication are lost?

Nothing is lost -- the clients will be briefly unable to do any
metadata operations while they wait for the replacement MDS to become
active.  They can continue to do data operations on files they have
open in the meantime.

John