Re: failed lossy con, dropping message

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 2:17 AM Laszlo Budai <laszlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Greg,

Thank you for the answer.
I'm still in doubt with the "lossy". What does it mean in this context? I can think of different variants:
1. The designer of the protocol from start is considering the connection to be "lossy" so the connection errors are handled in a higher layer. So the layer that has observed the failure of the connection is just logging this event and will let the upper layer to handle it. This would support your statement 'since it's a "lossy" connection we don't need to remember the message and resend it.'

This one. :)
The messenger subsystem can be configured as lossy or non-lossy; all the RADOS connecrions are lossy since a failure frequently means we'll have for etargwt the operation anyway (to a different OSD). CephFS uses the state full connections a bit more.
-Greg

2. A connection is not declared "lossy" as long as it is working properly. Once it ha lost some packets or some error threshold is reached, we declare the connection as being lossy, inform the higher layer, and let it decide what next. Compared with point 1. the actions are quite similar, but the usage of the "lossy" is different. At point 1. a connection is always "lossy" even if it is not losing any packet actually. In the second case the connection will became "lossy" when the errors will appear, so "lossy" is a runtime state of the connection.

Maybe both are wrong and the truth is a third variant ... :) This is what I would like to understand.

Kind regards,
Laszlo