Re: rbd iscsi gateway question

On 04/10/2017 01:21 PM, Timofey Titovets wrote:
> JFYI: Today we get totaly stable setup Ceph + ESXi "without hacks" and
> this pass stress tests.
>
> 1. Don't try pass RBD directly to LIO, this setup are unstable
> 2. Instead of that, use Qemu + KVM (i use proxmox for that create VM)
> 3. Attach RBD to VM as VIRTIO-SCSI disk (must be exported by target_core_iblock)

I think you avoid the hung command problem, because lio uses the
local/initiator side scsi layer to send commands to the virtio-scsi
device which has timeouts similar to ESX. They will timeout and fire the
virtio-scsi error handler, and commands will not just hang.

I think you can now do something similar with Ilya's patch and use krbd
directly with target_core_iblock:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg35618.html

> 4. Make a LIO Target in VM
> 4.1 Sync Iniciator (ESXi) and target (LIO) options (best change Target options)
> 4.2 You can enable almost all VAAI (also emulate_tpu=1, emulate_tpws=1)
> 4.3 For performance reason use noop on RBD disk in VM and set
> is_nonrot=1 (disable ESXi sheduller)
> 5. ESXi are "stupid" and have a problem with CAS on LIO (and some
> other storage vendors (google for info)), so for stable working
> without disconects of LUN set VMFS3.UseATSForHBOnVMFS5 to ZERO on All
> ESXi that use this lun.
> 6. Don't try make Target HA (not tested but i think you will catch
> problems with VMFS), you must do something like VM HA for that.

Yes, the problem is for HA where commands need to be cleaned up before
they are retried through different GWs/paths, so one command is not
racing with the retry and new commands.