rbd exclusive-lock feature not exclusive?

Hello,

I am building my first cluster on Ubuntu 16.04 with jewel 10.2.6, to
host rbd images for qemu (also on Ubuntu 16.04). I've been lurking on
this list for some time, thanks to all you regular posters for so many
valuable insights!

Tried to test the exclusive-lock rbd feature. It does not seem to
prevent concurrent access (FS corruption) to the same rbd volume. Do I
misinterpret its name? Do I need to configure some virsh parameters?

http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2015-September/004857.html
hints at live migration use case, where concurrent write access is a
requirement. We might want to use that later, but for the moment we
would prefer the FS to be protected against concurrent writes.

    root@ceph00:~# rbd info t3-x
    rbd image 't3-x':
            size 16384 MB in 4096 objects
            order 22 (4096 kB objects)
            block_name_prefix: rbd_data.3218d238e1f29
            format: 2
            features: layering, exclusive-lock, object-map, fast-diff, deep-flatten
            flags:

After starting the VM on the first host, a lock is registered:

    root@ceph00:~# rbd lock ls t3-x
    There is 1 exclusive lock on this image.
    Locker        ID                   Address
    client.205200 auto 139973185508448 192.168.xx.240:0/4012132689

Starting the same VM on another host while the first one is running, the
registered rbd lock above stays in place, but still the second client
can happily write to the same rbd and ruin the FS (no actual harm, just
testing).

--
Matthias Ferdinand