Re: clock skew

Hi Wido,

On 04/01/2017 02:10 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
That warning is there for a reason. I suggest you double-check your NTP and clocks on the machines. This should never happen in production.
I know... Don't understand why this happens..! Tried both ntpd and systemd-timesyncd. I did not yet know chrony, will try it.

I imagined that a 0.2 sec time skew would not be too disasterous.. As a side note: I cannot find explained anywhere WHAT could happen if the skew becomes too big. Only that we should prevent it. (data loss?)

Are you running the MONs inside Virtual Machines? They are more likely to have drifting clocks.
Nope. All bare metal on new supermicro servers.

You could try the chrony NTP daemon instead of ntpd and make sure all MONs are peers from each other.
Will try that.

I had set all MONs to sync with chime1.surfnet.nl - chime4. We usually have very good experiences with those ntp servers.

So, you're telling me that the MONs should be peers from each other... But if all MONs listen/sync to/with each other, where do I configure the external stratum1 source.?

MJ