Re: Question about unfound objects

Good suggestion, Nick. I actually did that at the time. The "ceph osd map" wasn't all that interesting because the OSDs had been outed and their PGs had been mapped to new OSDs. Everything appeared to be in order with the PGs being mapped to the right number of new OSDs. The PG mappings looked fine, but the objects just didn't exist anywhere except on the OSDs that had been marked out.

The PG queries were a little more useful, but still didn't really help in the end. In all cases (unfound objects from 2 OSDs in each of 2 occurrences), the PGs showed 5 or so OSDs where they thought the unfound objects might be, one of which was an OSD that had been marked out. In both cases we even waited until backfilling completed to see if perhaps the missing objects would turn up somewhere else, but none ever did.

In the first instance we were simply able to reattach the 2 OSDs to the cluster with 0 weight and recover the unfound objects. The second instance involved drive problems and was a little bit trickier. The drives had experienced errors and the XFS filesystems had both become corrupt and wouldn't even mount. We didn't have any spare drives large enough, so I ended up using dd, ignoring errors, to copy the disks to RBDs in a different Ceph cluster. I then kernel mapped the RBDs on the host with the failed drives, ran XFS repairs on them, mouted them to the OSD directories, started the OSDs, and put them back in the cluster with 0 weight. I was lucky enough that those objects were available and they were recovered. Of course I immediately removed those OSDs once the unfound objects cleared up.

That's the other intersting aspect of this problem. This cluster had 4TB HGST drives for its OSDs, but we had to expand it fairly urgently and didn't have enough drives. We added two new servers, each with 16 4TB drives and 16 8TB HGST He8 drives. In both instances the problems we encountered were with the 8TB drives. We have since acquired more 4TB drives and have replaced all of the 8TB drives in the cluster. We have a total of 8 production clusters globally and have been running Ceph in production for 2 years. These two occurences recently are the only times we've seen these types of issues, and it was exclusive to the 8TB OSDs. I'm not sure how that would cause such a problem, but it's an interesting data point.