Re: How to check SMR vs PMR before buying disks?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:32:53 -0600 Adam Carheden wrote:

> What's the biggest PMR disk I can buy, and how do I tell if a disk is PMR?
>
> I'm well aware that I shouldn't use SMR disks:
> http://ceph.com/planet/do-not-use-smr-disks-with-ceph/
>
> But newegg and the like don't seem to advertise SMR vs PMR and I can't
> even find it on manufacturer's websites (at least not from Seagate).

You need to work on your google/website scouring foo.

http://www.seagate.com/enterprise-storage/hard-disk-drives/archive-hdd/#features

Clearly says SMR there, I would assume "archive" is a good hint, too.

> Is there any way to tell? Is there a rule of thumb, such "as 4T+ is
> probably SMR" or "enterprise usually means PMR"?

Size isn't conclusive, enterprise and non-archive more so.

http://www.seagate.com/enterprise-storage/hard-disk-drives/enterprise-capacity-3-5-hdd/

"Proven conventional PMR technology backed by highest field reliability
ratings and an MTBF of 2M hours"

HTH,

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications