Re: object store backup tool recommendations

Thanks for the useful reply Robin and sorry for not getting back sooner...

> On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 18:01:00 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 10:55:06 +1100, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for good tools to perform
>> file-system/tree backups and restores to/from a RGW object store (Swift or
>> S3 APIs)? Happy to hear about both FOSS and commercial options please.
> This isn't Ceph specific, but is something that has come up for me, and
> I did a lot of research into it for the Gentoo distribution to use on
> it's infrastructure.

> The wiki page with all of our needs & contenders is here:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Backups_v3

That's a useful resource.

> TL;DR: restic is probably the closest fit to your needs, but do evaluate
> it carefully.

Yes I agree, restic does look like a decent fit and we are planning to
trial it soon. Though it took me a while to find that it does in fact
support object storage, as that info is buried in the usage docs and
(I thought somewhat bizarrely) not mentioned as a prominent feature.

Anybody else have recommendations? I'm surprised there were not more
suggestions, perhaps (OpenStack-)Swift users will have some
suggestions...

--
Cheers,
~Blairo