Re: Upgrading 2K OSDs from Hammer to Jewel. Our experience

Hi,

We initially upgraded from Hammer to Jewel while keeping the ownership unchanged, by adding  "setuser match path = /var/lib/ceph/$type/$cluster-$id" in ceph.conf

Later, we used the following steps to change from running as root to running as ceph.

On the storage nodes, we ran the following command that doesn't change permissions, but caches the filesystem (based on http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2015-November/006013.html)

find /var/lib/ceph/osd -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -print | xargs -P12 -n1 chown -R root:root

Set noout:
ceph osd set noout

On Storage node:
Edited "/etc/ceph/ceph.conf" and commented out #setuser match path = /var/lib/ceph/$type/$cluster-$id
stop ceph-osd-all
find /var/lib/ceph/osd -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -print | xargs -P12 -n1 chown -R ceph:ceph
chown -R ceph:ceph /var/lib/ceph/
start ceph-osd-all

Check that all the Ceph OSD processes are running:
ps aux | grep ceph | egrep –v grep

Unset "noout":
ceph osd unset noout

Wait till ceph is healthy again and continue with the next storage node.

The OSDs were down for about 2 min because we ran the find command before hand and used xargs with 12 parallel processes, so recovery time was quick as well.

We have more than 850 OSDs and the entire process went pretty smooth by doing one storage server at a time.