Re: RADOS Snapshots on Cephfs Pools?

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Kent Borg <kentborg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have a Cephfs cluster stuck in read-only mode, looks like following the
> Disaster Recovery steps, is it a good idea to first make a RADOS snapshot of
> the Cephfs pools? Or are there ways that could make matters worse?

Don't do this.  Pool-level snapshots are incompatible with so-called
"self-managed" snapshots where something above rados (cephfs/rbd) is
handling snapshots.

As the docs suggest, you should always take a backup of your journal.
You can even take a full copy of the metadata pool with "rados export"
if it's manageably small (metadata often is).

John