Re: Ceph - reclaim free space - aka trimrbd image

In that case, the trim/discard requests would need to come directly
from the guest virtual machines to avoid damaging the filesystems. We
do have a backlog feature ticket [1] to allow an administrator to
transparently sparsify a in-use image via the rbd CLI, but no work has
been started on it yet.

[1] http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/13706

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:16 AM, Massimiliano Cuttini <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Jason,
>
> I need some further info, because I'm really worried about ruin my data.
> On this pool I have only XEN virtual disks.
> Did I have to run the command directly on the "pool" or on the "virtual
> disks" ?
>
> I guess that I have to run it on the pool.
> As Admin I don't have access to local filesystem of the customer's virtual
> disk and neither I can temporarly mount it to trim them.
> Are my assumptions right?
>
> Another info: did I need to umount the image from every device that is
> actually using the image while I'm trimming it?
>
> Thanks,
> Max
>

> Il 01/03/2017 20:11, Jason Dillaman ha scritto:
>>
>> You should be able to issue an fstrim against the filesystem on top of
>> the nbd device or run blkdiscard against the raw device if you don't
>> have a filesystem.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Massimiliano Cuttini <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> i use the rbd-nbd connector.
>>> Is there a way to reclaim free space from rbd image using this component
>>> or
>>> not?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Max