Re: monitors at 100%; cluster out of service

On 02/28/2017 09:53 PM, WRIGHT, JON R (JON R) wrote:
I currently have a situation where the monitors are running at 100% CPU,
and can't run any commands because authentication times out after 300
seconds.

I stopped the leader, and the resulting election picked a new leader,
but that monitor shows exactly the same behavor.

Now both monitors *think* they are the leader and call new elections
against the third monitor, both winning each time.   Essentially they
alternate between calling an election (which they win) and then pegging
one of the CPUs at 100%.

strace suggests that the monitor daemons are spending the "pegged" time
in user space, and attaching a debugger to the running process suggests
that the monitor is spending its time doing crushmap calculations in
fn_monstore.

Setting paxos_debug to 10 produces this log message:

2017-02-28 16:50:49.503712 7f218ccd4700  7
mon.hlxkvm001-storage@0(leader).paxosservice(osdmap 1252..1873) _active
creating new pending

during the time when the monitor process is pegged at 100%.

The problem started when one of the hosts running a peon was rebooted,
but didn't have the correct mtu setting in /etc/network/interfaces.
The problem showed up after correcting the mtu value.

Also, we are using a hyperconverged architecture where the same host
runs a monitor and multiple OSDs.

Any thoughts on recovery would be greatly appreciated.

What version is this?

How many monitors are you running?

Are the monitors consuming an unusual amount of memory? What about the OSDs in the same nodes?

Is the size of the monitor stores abnormally high?

Have you tried restarting all monitors and see if they hit the same issue?

  -Joao