extending ceph cluster with osds close to near full ratio (85%)

Hi Brian,

On 14 February 2017 at 19:33, Brian Andrus <brian.andrus at dreamhost.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 5:27 AM, Tyanko Aleksiev <tyanko.alexiev at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Cephers,
>>
>> At University of Zurich we are using Ceph as a storage back-end for our
>> OpenStack installation. Since we recently reached 70% of occupancy
>> (mostly caused by the cinder pool served by 16384PGs) we are in the
>> phase of extending the cluster with additional storage nodes of the same
>> type (except for a slight more powerful CPU).
>>
>> We decided to opt for a gradual OSD deployment: we created a temporary
>> "root"
>> bucket called "fresh-install" containing the newly installed nodes and
>> then we
>> moved OSDs from this bucket to the current production root via:
>>
>> ceph osd crush set osd.{id} {weight} host={hostname}
>> root={production_root}
>>
>> Everything seemed nicely planned but when we started adding a few new
>> OSDs to the cluster, and thus triggering a rebalancing, one of the OSDs,
>> already at 84% disk use, passed the 85% threshold. This in turn
>> triggered the "near full osd(s)" warning and more than 20PGs previously
>> in "wait_backfill" state were marked as: "wait_backfill+backfill_tooful
>> l".
>> Since the OSD kept growing until, reached 90% disk use, we decided to
>> reduce
>> its relative weight from 1 to 0.95.
>> The last action recalculated the crushmap and remapped a few PGs but did
>> not appear to move any data off the almost full OSD. Only when, by steps
>> of 0.05, we reached 0.50 of relative weight data was moved and some
>> "backfill_toofull" requests were released. However, he had do go down
>> almost to 0.10% of relative weight in order to trigger some additional
>> data movement and have the backfilling process finally finished.
>>
>> We are now adding new OSDs but the problem is constantly triggered since
>> we have multiple OSDs > 83% that starts growing during the rebalance.
>>
>> My questions are:
>>
>> - Is there something wrong in our process of adding new OSDs (some
>> additional
>> details below)?
>>

> It could work but - also could be more disruptive than need be. We have a
> similar situation/configuration and what we do is start OSDs with ` osd
> crush initial weight = 0` as well as "crush_osd_location" set properly.
> This will weight the OSDs at 0 weight and let us bring them in in a
> controlled fashion. We bring them in to 1 (no disruption), then crush
> weight in gradually.

We are currently trying out this type of gradual insertion. Thanks!

>> - We also noticed that the problem has the tendency to cluster around the newly
>> added OSDs, so could those two things be correlated?
>>
>> I'm not sure which problem you are referring to - this OSDs filling?
> Possibly due to temporary files or some other mechanism I'm not familiar
> with adding a little extra data on top.
>
>> - Why reweighting does not trigger instant data moving? What's the logic
>> behind remapped PGs? Is there some sort of flat queue of tasks or does
>> it have some priorities defined?
>>

> It should, perhaps you aren't choosing large enough increments or perhaps
> you have some settings set.

Indeed, with sufficiently large increments it triggers some instant pg
rebalancing.

>> - Did somebody experience this situation and eventually how was it solved/bypassed?
>>

> FWIW, we also run a rebalance cronjob every hour with the following:
>
> `ceph osd reweight-by-utilization 103 .010 10`

Already running that but on a daily basis.