Disable debug logging: best practice or not?

> Op 17 februari 2017 om 17:44 schreef Kostis Fardelas <dante1234 at gmail.com>:
>

> Hi,
> I keep reading recommendations about disabling debug logging in Ceph
> in order to improve performance. There are two things that are unclear
> to me though:
>
> a. what do we lose if we decrease default debug logging and where is
> the sweet point in order to not lose critical messages?

Having logs enabled consumes CPU power, mainly on the OSDs. It introduces latency, so when people disable logging they do this to lower latency.

I usually disable logs on the OSDs and leave them on on the MONs. Enable them on the OSDs when needed.

[osd]
debug_osd = 0
debug_filestore = 0
debug_journal = 0