Re: Question regarding CRUSH algorithm

Thanks David,

Its not quiet what i was looking for. Let me explain my question in more detail -

This is excerpt from Crush paper, this explains how crush algo running on each client/osd maps pg to an osd during the write operation[lets assume].

"Tree buckets are structured as a weighted binary search tree with items at the leaves. Each interior node knows the total weight of its left and right subtrees and is labeled according to a fixed strategy (described below). In order to select an item within a bucket, CRUSH starts at the root of the tree and calculates the hash of the input key x, replica number r, the bucket identifier, and the label at the current tree node (initially the root). The result is compared to the weight ratio of the left and right subtrees to decide which child node to visit next. This process is repeated until a leaf node is reached, at which point the associated item in the bucket is chosen. Only logn hashes and node comparisons are needed to locate an item.:"

 My question is along the way the tree structure changes, weights of the nodes change and some nodes even go away. In that case, how are future reads lead to pg to same osd mapping? Its not cached anywhere, same algo runs for every future read - what i am missing is how it picks the same osd[where data resides] every time. With a modified crush map, won't we end up with different leaf node if we apply same algo?

Thanks
Girish