Re: CephFS root squash?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Robert Sander
<r.sander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09.02.2017 20:11, Jim Kilborn wrote:
>
>> I am trying to figure out how to allow my users to have sudo on their workstation, but not have that root access to the ceph kernel mounted volume.
>
> I do not think that CephFS is meant to be mounted on human users'
> workstations.

We'd all like to avoid squishy human users if possible but sometimes
it's unavoidable :-D

My feeling is that cephfs should be mounted natively only on trusted,
"tightly coupled" systems, whose availability is comparable to that of
the servers.  So on a typical user laptop would be a bad idea, but on
a big visualization workstation might be OK, or on the always-on
identical desktops in a single CAD/CGI/EDA team might be okay too.

Slow/naughty clients generally only cause pain to other clients in the
same filesystem, so if you do have some files accessible to
workstations it might also be prudent to segregate them in a separate
filesystem (currently no cephX way of enforcing that, but if you
basically trust the workstations and just want to isolate them in case
of bugs/outages, it's okay).

John